Monday 19 October 2009

Trying to put repository onto network drive for Visual SVN server

Source: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Development/Management_Debug/Version_Control_CVS/Subversion/Q_23494919.html

----------------

In case anyone is still interested,  here's how I made it work:

 

How is it useful to someone.

 

Ray in Wisconsin

 

Question:

Can I install the VisualSVN Server software on a local server but have the repositories on a network share?

 

Answer:

Yes.

 

Heres how to do it:

During the installation of VisualSVN Server, simply type in the URL of the network share that you want to house the repositories on.

 

Or after the install, right click on "VisualSVN Server", choose properties and then change the value od the "Repositories Root" .

 

IE:

I wanted to house the Repository on a netwrok server named "FileServerOne".

There was a share created on that server named "ShareData"

And I was able to create a folder named "Firmwide" inside of "ShareData".

So, I entered the following, into the Repositories Root dialog box during the installation of VisualSVN Server.

\\FileServerOne\ShareData\Firmwide\Repositories\

 

Thats it.

 

Things of note:

At the end of the VisualSVN Server installation process, the installation will attempt to start the VisualSVN Server service.

Depending on what permissions you may have, you may receive a message from the installation process that it was unable to start the VisualSVN Server service.

 

Heres why that is:

The VisualSVN Server installation process installs a service named VisualSVN Server.

By default, the Local System Account is chosen on the Log On tab.

 

Heres what I did to remedy that issue:

I left the dialog message that said the VisualSVN Server installation process was unable to start the VisualSVN Server service, on my desktop unanswered.

 

I opened the VisualSVN Server service to edit it. (see below.)

It was necessary for me to unselect the Local System Account and Select This Account instead.

Then I entered MY, Domain User ID and Password into the dialog boxes and  clicked on OK to save the newly edited service.

 

Then, I returned to the dialog message on my desktop and clicked on Retry.

 

At that point the VisualSVN Server installation process was able to start the VisualSVN Server service and all was well.

Accepted Solution

No comments: